The most interesting thing that's going on with me is probably Ultimate Frisbee. Our club team (yeah, that's right, CLUB) is called the Dirty Ladies. How many times have I told you that? A lot. Anyways, there are a ton of girls (almost 30?) so playing scrimmages and tournaments is both fun and not the most killer thing in the world. I mean, it's hella hard and it wears on you but there are a lot of subs, whole fresh lines. A line is the 7 girls who play on the field for your team. Not cocaine. Anyways, this past weekend we had a large tournament at Rutgers but only 12 girls (including me) could go, which left us in a pretty tough position. 12 girls means only 5 subs, meaning that even if you sub at every point 2 girls would be staying on and tired. And sometimes points can go for up to (and over) 20 minutes! That's a long time to be moving nonstop.
The liability with such a lack of girls is also in the shear nature of the game. Everyone gets tired, the more tired you are the more likely you are to get hurt. And that is exactly what happened. In the first point she played, my friend Emily (sophomore) who already had one hurt ankle, hurt her other so she was out for the entire tournament. 4 subs. Then Alex, one of our best players despite a terrible knee injury last year, somehow hit her head super hard. We though she had a concussion because she could NOT focus. She was out for the day after most of the first game. 3 subs. After the first two games Liz, another newbie, pulled something in her leg and couldn't (and still can't) do much other than walk. 2 subs. During our game against Hofstra my knee-which I pretty consistently slam because I play like a goalie, all force and brute and yeah, I'm psycho-got hurt so I had to sit out for a bit because my knee was bothering me terribly. 1 sub for a few points. Then I went back in and Amy Chin (possibly the cutest person on the whole goddamn planet) got hit in the face and her nose began to bleed). 1 sub.
By our last game against Rutgers we were pretty much going to play savage. NO SUBS. (Val, another newbie was super dehydrated) So that last game we started with 1 sub. But then Amy's ankle suddenly got hurt so we played savage. And we were keeping up! On a regular day we could've pounded them, which I wanted to because they were being rude, but on this day, after so many games and injuries, we forfeited the second half.
So on that first horrid horrid day we won one game, but lost 3. (Lost to UPenn, Hofstra, and Rutgers but by forfeit; Beat Columbia HS Sparkle Motion and they brought like 40 girls who were reasonably good). It was just ridiculous how tired we were. After two hours of draining (putting your legs up and draining out the lactic acid from your muscles) and showering we went to my parents house for spaghetti, salad, and steak. That was really surreal because I haven't been home yet and all of a sudden all of my frisbee friends are in my home! I'm giving a tour, and they are ooh-ing, and aah-ing in the all the right places. "Your silo is so cool!" "You were so cute when you were little!" "You're brother is gorgeous!" And Tali is there to help me, and she is talking non-stop to me, in an obvious bid for attention because she's missed me. And it is SO weird having all of these girls from college in my house. We're all around a huge table eating dinner together, laughing and telling stories and it's wonderful. We played Apples to Apples like it was an everyday occurrence, and I've never laughed harder. It is so nice to be home, but I realize it isn't home anymore which is actually kind of sad. I mean, I only lived there for four years but my room feels weird, too clean, not mine. Everything is untouched, unlived in, and it doesn't feel like it's mine anymore. But my parents were so excited to have everyone in the house, to see ME. They even bought a cake and wrote "Congratulations Dirty Ladies" with a frisbee on it.
It was a great and chill night, we were all super tired. The next day we played our 5th game from the day before (scheduling had been messed up so we played Princeton on the second day rather than the first). Princeton was simply athletic, and outrunning us because of our lack of subs. Emily, Amy, and Liz were all out. Luckily Alex could play and she is, as Maria Herman and I call her, "Perpetually open, and perpetually awesome." Laura, Alyssa, Chelsea, Fia, Maria, Alex, Kendall, Jett, Val. We could play. But Val was sick for most of the first games and my knee wasn't bothering me too bad until I bashed it again and Emily attempted to wrap it in gauze as some sort of make-shift knee brace.
Anyways, Princeton was super athletic and running us all over the field. Obnoxious. This one really tall girl kept trying to go deep but kept choosing to guard one of our handler's, Kendall, who isn't as fast. Kendall told me that we should try to switch because this girl was wearing her out far too fast. When I switched to be on her, the girl immediately called to switch back to Kendall. Pretty bitchy. THEN the girl fouled Kendall, and when you foul and it is contested the disc just goes back to the person who threw it and everyone clears out of the cutting lane (the open area where you are trying to catch a pass, Ultimate is actually very organized, I can teach you in person if you'd like). But when Kendall called a foul on that girl for hitting her the girl got all huffy and was all, "Whatever, the disc just goes back." Later, I was just fed up with this girl for purposefully running Kendall out and just going deep every time so I finally was guarding her, and she ran deep for a pass and I D'd it (defended it by knocking it down) (not only did I D it, I threw my body through the air to do so) and she called a foul saying, "You hit my hand," I said, "No, I contest. I think I just hit the disc," to which she began arguing me saying, "NO! You hit the disc," the girls on my team had to intervene and say, "Dude, it's a contested foul, the disc just goes back." Not cool. OH! When they were asking me if I contested the foul my teammate Laura wanted to tell me it was okay to contest it but didn't want to seem unsportsmanlike by saying, "Fia, don't listen to them, you're right in contesting," so instead she yelled, "FIA! Don't listen to them... you're beautiful!" This confused the other team who said, "We never said she was ugly!" LOLCAT
After Princeton we played TCNJ who also had a lack of people, though they had 3 subs over 2. We knew it would be a fun game because we were both exhausted-silly. We were beating them though! And then I fell and bashed my knee too hard. I limped off the field holding back tears. I hate not playing, especially when we need subs. Alyssa, one of our two captains (but the only one who could come), finally got to sub out after like 6 points and calmed me down, telling me that she didn't want me to play on it, it wasn't a big deal... there are pictures on the FB. Emily made me a coldpack for my knee out of a panty-liner she poured cold water on. Using pads for first-aid was what we were forced to do all weekend. Anyway, I was pretty upset to not be playing in the game where I could've helped us win. But we own'd anyway, and it just happened to be the game that decided if we were going to go home or play another game. And stupidly we won and had to play another game.
After TCNJ we played Columbia University, whose captain is one of my really good friends (and old Avodah adviser) from camp! SO COOL! Alyssa let me play 2nd half but we were beating them pretty well. We had so many newbies but we were playing fiercely. My friend and fellow freshman Jett played amazingly! We were all learning so much. And our defense was crazy awesome. We were D-ing everything. Some highlights, Alex finally getting a pass (a "connection") to Laura in the endzone, and then Laura jumping up and down and hugging Alex crazily, and THEN apologizing to Columbia for the unsportsmanlike conduct. I had this great bid (a great jump into the air for the disc that is not a layout) in the end zone but missed by a mere inch, and Amanda (top 10 favorite people) says quietly to me, "Nice bid!" And then I scored in the knee pads my mom brought me. And we won. WOOT! We won 3 games, lost 4, but we played really well despite the lack of subs. It was a crazy-ass weekend.
And then we went for WaWa.
Frisbee has taken over. My issues with my lack of writing my papers are large but I keep trying to ignore the problem. Another issue is the math class I am in right now and not paying attention to. It sucks and I don't get it. Vicious cycle?
On Yom Kippur I spent all day at the Newseum, the best museum EVER. If you come visit bring $20 so we can go. I was there for hours just thinking about the past, my future, and everything. It was shockingly emotional.
No guy stuff. We'll see. I like two guys. One has a girlfriend but ugh... he's awesome. The other I am not sure of his relationship status but I can almost confirm he's single. He plays Rugby, is nice, in the Honors program, and JEWISH. TRIPLEYES. Ungh.
It is officially my fall break (three day weekend) and I plan on being completely smashed tonight and tomorrow. ABSOLUTELY DESTROYED. Not throwing up, just shattered off my ass. Sauced, if you will. Yeah frisbee parties!
I love you. College is a whole different world.
Jayram should be mad at me, I totally flaked on him when I was at Rutgers. I couldn't handle seeing him too, I'm not home yet! Y'know? I don't know.
I love you. I miss you. I DARE YOU TO GO THROUGH ALL 51+ NEW ALBUMS I'VE UPLOADED OVER THE LAST FEW WEEKS.
Love and Care,
Fia
LINKS TO MY FACEBOOK ALBUMS OF THE TOURNY:
1
2
3
4
5
6
Seriously, Amy took over 200 hundred pictures. My life is basically documented on the Facebook. Not just this tournament. I love when people Facebook stalk me. I'm odd.
I need to clean my room! And I need to get organized so I can work on this slideshow for my Zadie's 90th birthday. Aaawww... OFFICE TONIGHT!
This is what I look like at a tournament! SO TAN.
No comments:
Post a Comment